- Specsavers’s ad spend was dominated by TV, driving their ‘Should Have Gone to Specsavers’ slogan, while other channels were used to communicate individual offers and to keep the brand front of mind.
- TV proved effective at driving the fame of the brand via ‘SHGTS’ – but it was becoming clear that the strength of this strategy was hindering the cut-through of offer messages.
2. Strategy and Execution
- Introducing long-term holdings
- Equal store coverage – 1,400 geotargeted 48s
- To combat diminishing offer cut-through
- High and continuous levels of awareness
- Going local to drive footfall into store
- 2,000 individual campaigns per year across a diverse range of formats addressing a much wider range of local business challenges than ever before
- Adding rigour
- Each store was mapped and analysed with Route data to ensure that each site was they very best quality, rather than the closest
- This optimisation delivered huge efficiencies – we used fewer OOH sites but with greater visibility
- Going digital
- The savings from optimisation allowed us to expand the role for OOH even further, using digital OOH to build the brand by publicising ‘SHGTS’ moments
- For example– the infamous Suarez biting incident was transformed into a SHGTS moment
- 20% of glasses wearers remember seeing a Specsavers OOH ad on any given week of the year.
- OOH has helped sales grow to their highest levels ever, with no change in overall media spend.
- OOH has delivered a strong ROI – with it increasing threefold since the change in strategy.