Back to school
- Most children in the UK will return to school the week beginning Monday 2nd September 2019.
- The market is worth approx. £1billion - making back to school the 3rd biggest spending seasonal event in the UK (after Black Friday and Christmas).
- Approx. 75% of spend is on uniform, sportswear and sports equipment, 20% on stationary and accessories and 5% on books.
- This is also a key time for students starting or returning to university later on in the month.
- The average university student spends over £250 a week with approx. 25% of that on alcohol.
- Back to school shopping peaks in the last few weeks of the summer holidays with online search peaking around 22nd July.
- August footfall in malls is 9% of the annual figure. This makes it one of the busiest months behind Dec/November - with 36% of mums taking their children to a shopping mall each week. OOH is the perfect medium to target the family market.
- 86% of 7-15 year olds snack at least once a day and 52% of these eat a homemade packed lunch at school. POS is key in the lead up to the new school year.
- There is a strong urban presence amongst students and very high reach for those city centre formats.
- The most active categories in terms of advertising during the ‘back to school’ period are Food & Beverage, Retail, & Telecom/Technology.
Please contact Talon for further information.